Trannyshack changes its name -- and the Internet explodes. Plus: Animal Collective, Glamamore, Maxxi Soundsystem, Last Nite, more parties.
Nostalgia for the '90s is for old people. The great Last Nite parties have already upped the party ante by retro-izing 2000s indie, now they're going for 2000s hip-hop. Strap on your Neptunes and get ready to ghost ride that whip.
Fri/30, 9pm, $5 before 11pm, $10 after. Slate, 2925 16th St., SF. www.facebook.com/lastnite00s
The prolific Iranian American's career is a master class in how to achieve popular success while remaining true to your underground roots (a lesson that bears a lot of repeating lately). Slightly trance-y techno that often drops into deep house bliss is on the menu.
Fri/30, 9:30pm, $25. Audio, 316 11th St., SF. www.audiosf.com
One of our most revered drag queens is insane. Or is she? (She is.) Join her and the wildest crew of SF characters you've seen since last week, as she turns the Powerhouse into her personal playpen. Her fellow nuts will be falling out all over the place. With DJs John F*cking Cartwright and Hoku Mama Swamp
Sat/31, 9pm, $5. Powerhouse, 1347 Folsom, SF. www.powerhousebar.com
The flamboyant UK producer makes lovely, too-catchy tech house hits that occasionally morph into soul-stirring dance floor anthems. At the Lights Down Low party with Sleazemore, Split, and Shiny Objects.
Sat/31, 10pm-3am, $10–$20. Monarch, 101 Sixth St., SF. www.monarchsf.com
Most Commented On
- Where I was on the day President Kennedy was shot - July 28, 2014
- Best of the Bay 2013: BEST NORTH BEACH FRY BOMB - July 28, 2014
- Ain't nobody who can sing -- or bring the progressive fire -- - July 28, 2014
- whistleblowers - July 28, 2014
- Not a failure, but definitely - July 28, 2014
- Agree, there are too many people in SF now for one very clear - July 28, 2014
- Wrong again. My point wasn't that my definition of "fairness" is - July 28, 2014
- growth? - July 28, 2014
- So there is on definition of - July 28, 2014
- the Corporate state of America - July 28, 2014